Finding Your Roots! We Come from Ivery's!


"We Come from People"

Season 2 Premiere September 23, 2014 8pm PBS
Episode 6
 Henry Louis Gates

The Book of Life


Angela Valerie and Nas

Angela Bassett ~ Valerie Jarrett ~ Nas 

Don't ever say; "I can't find Nobody" in your research. I can't find who I belong to? This episode tells you We Came from Somebody......Me: I Come from the Lewis ~Ivery~Miles~Daniel and Sweigard's and many More!..
We have receipts for our People like Property. 
Why did they put a price on us? What made them think they could put a Value on our Lives? This episode rang True for some many Folks and it has to touch the Heart of every American
If it doesn't, you have no Respect for Yourself. For mankind. Angela, Nas and Ms. Valerie's story should hold reverence for you. It's about your Story as well. That is why there will Never Ever Ever be a day I won't stop  "Speaking about my Ancestors" or write. You Family Historians know what I mean. Grandma Eddie Ivery Lewis, born 1888, her Father Ike Ivery, born 1853. His Father William Ivey born 1812. My Daddy born 1918, James E. Lewis. Those Miles, Tinnie and Queen and her Mother Lizzie, 1843. As long as I can and Lord help me! I don't want my Family to forget. I hope we find more of the ones who are LOST. So we can keep Our Circle Unbroken.  I know my Family will see to it their Lives are not in Vain.
They are in my DNA. In 1 hour you can not tell all the information they find. This is where I take NoTe's and re watch. Look for clues that will help me in research regarding a name or piece of history I heard on the show, even location research. I always have to go over the show to get some of the details lost or not followed up. I'll help tell some of their finds from Dr. Gates along with some of my family history. 

Angela Bassett
Angela grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida. Daily life was a challenge. That is where she got the acting bug. She always wanted to know about her family, but like most when you first start it does seem to be a daunting challenge. Overwhelming. I still feel that at times but the Ancestors are with you always there to Lead you on. Most times you don't know where to begin? Angela is ready to know how her Ancestors survived, even trying to place herself in their shoes. Asking; I wonder if I would survive their circumstances? Her Ancestors were George and Jinny Ingram. They  got a chance to "Jump the Broom", they lived like many Slaves in cohabitation with each other, after Slavery they can get a Courthouse marriage to make their families legal. That is how they found out with Angela's family the reasoning behind the Ingram-Bassett last name. They were owned by the one and same. That is how they gained and lost those surnames between them.  My 3rd Great Grandparents are George Miles and Ginnie Hooks. So I found that interesting.

 I don't much information beyond census records mostly on them with Oral History,their Son Sam Miles, my Great Grandfather. These Parents of his were listed on his Social Security Application. That's how I found their legal names. Through out the family they are Big Pa and Grandma Sissy.


Social Security App Son of a Slave
Poppa Sam Miles with his Parents: George Miles & Ginnie Hooks 

That backed up my census record in 1870. Angela's DNA revealed she was 77% SSA. 

  Valerie Garrett

Robert Robinson Taylor


http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/mithistory/blacks-at-mit/taylor.html

1st Black Graduate of MIT, he helped developed with the architect of one of the oldest African American Black College; Tuskegee University. Were I recently took a visit 2 weeks ago. Had I known? 


Me arriving at TU
Me arriving at Tuskegee University


He was also born in Cumberland County, North Carolina in 1823! Angus Taylor is his Father, he gives a glimpse into what his father looks like in a letter from Booker T. Washington stating that he was yet a Slave, but; "Given liberty to do about as he pleased" yet he was not Free. He didn't Free him. So it begs the question why didn't he free him? Was it for his protection? and the complexities that goes with that?  He wasn't just Henry's owner he was his Father as well. Eventually she would find out her 6th Great Grandparents her Grandmother Marianne had 6 children by Mr. Pierre Rochon her Slaveowner in Alabama and he freed his children March 20, 1770. That was astonishing to me 6 children were Freed in 1770. That is a long time to have Free Persons of Color (FPOC) at that time in History. This is how all her Ancestors were Free. At one point Dr. Gates noted her Great Great Grandfather Victor Rochon was the 1st Black Legislator from Louisiana in 1872 and 1888. So Valerie has this in her DNA, her Blood. She is now serving with our 1st African American President, Pres. Obama. So she was made to to do this work. I to wondered how Marianne felt a year later Pierre Rochon passes away and all those thoughts of what she might of felt at the time when he told her as his Lover and mother of his children they are FREE! They made a new life in Louisiana from Alabama. Dr. Gates points out that he "Manned up" something President Thomas Jefferson was always conflicted about doing.
 Her DNA revealed she was 51% Euro and 46%SSA. 


Nas!
I come from the Melly Mel, Sugar Hill Gang, Dougie Fresh, LL Kool J, and Queen Latifah era of Rap. Yes!,quite so.  Even my kids laugh sometimes I can "Rock the Mic" in a Ol'Skool minute. I paid attention to Nas! when he wrote: Illmatic the album. Since that time I make sure I listen out for his albums. They are a source, a citation on our History. He prolifically announces unashamedly to the World. As he should. The young man is very knowledgeable about our History. We family historians write, when he writes, he put it's into Rapping. Same work, he just projects it differently. He was quoted by Toure' of MSNBC as being articulate and having detailed lyrics. He realized this at the age of 7. That is when everything Set if Off for him. He started seeing his Life outside of the Ghetto. Imagine.....7. My eyes were opened to Genealogy at 9. Nas is a "Beast" in the Rap World.   Nas's mother born Fannie Ann Little, 1941 in North Carolina. Richmond County. 
She always taught and wanted her sons to have a deep connection to their Roots. Just like my Grandparents there were yearly trips to Alabama so I could see hear and smell my Roots they would be ingrained in me till this day. I would say the same things Nas said about going Down Home, or the South. Like it is for me Down Home in Midway, Alabama.  Being born and raised up North in Pennsylvania. Everything in life moved slow and it was the country down there.  It did feel like we were on the Plantation down there in my small naive youthful way. Even my way of speaking was foreign.


Midway, Alabama
Midway . Bullock County. Alabama


 Nas's family goes back 5 generations in that county. Mine goes back to at least 1869 as far as I have traced. That is one of my oldest documents; a marriage license. 

Nas's story focus's on his 3rd Great Grandmother. Pocahontas Little, aged 15. She was worth a 830$ bought by Benjamin Franklin Little, March 27, 1859. Makes me wonder what else was going on the day of her Sale? I will have to research what the climate of that town was like and what else was going on in History? These are the little things that keep me up at night worrying about what happened, what was going on? I try to go to that place in my Heart and Spirit just to imagine? The picture of BF Little made Nas come face to face with who owned his 3rd Great Grandparents. The part that got to me was he said he had 850$ in his pocket right now. He mentioned he is considering going back there and get the Land. I hope he does! 

Richmond County, North Carolina

 I have to say there was a bit of conversation and debate going on about BF Little from one of his Descendants a lady in the comments section of the video excerpt for Nas. It was very compelling and it brought up a lot of emotions for everyone reading in. She was quite upset over the portrayal of him. She didn't think it was fair for him to be seen in that light. I'm very opinionated on this subject. It was interesting seeing her views and feelings on him being a Slave owner. She got a lot of response which I'm sure she didn't agree with. In the end it had to open her eyes this was a man that had a choice. They all did. Many were against Slavery and choose to not build their fortunes on the backs of a Slaves life. They tend to romanticize their Ancestor under the illusion my Ancestor wasn't a bad Slave owner and other guises they tend to use to defend their actions.  Those chains of pain whereas today Nas wears gold chains around his neck. He felt like we changed those chains of pain into chains of Freedom. Nas's DNA revealed he was 82% SSA. He also did a Y dna test on him to reveal his Haplogroup. He was Viking. Which is haplogroup R. that tells of his Origins and his ancient lineage where his 1st Ancestor began.
WHO DO YOU COME FROM?

 Remember. We Come From People!
We are not Property, Chattel, or Animals. 
We came here in Chains. Today we are breaking them. Hold your head high. You came from a Mighty Strong People
I could write so much more. I just wouldn't do it Justice. 
When you have the time you can go to PBS Finding Your Roots  at this link to watch the full episode online. 
 DNA behind the Scenes! shows you how to learn how they do the work behind the scenes to get the Guests DNA results.

Until Next Time.
Best Regards, True!


Nas "I Can"......

I know I CAN!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Printfriendly